Stadium Maksimir Zagreb
Club: GNK Dinamo Zagreb | Opening: 1912 | Capacity: 35,981 seats
Stadion Maksimir got built in 1912 and opened on the 5th of May of that year, though it initially only was a pitch with one simple stand.
In its first decades, Stadion Maksimir was the home HAŠK Građanski, but got quickly expanded and turned into Zagreb’s prime sports stadium. In 1948, Dinamo moved in.
In the post-War years, Stadion Maksimir was a rather bare bowl-shaped stadium that consisted mainly of terraces. The stadium had a capacity of about 45,000.
In 1976, it was one of the two playing venues of the European Championships, during which it hosted the semi-final between Czechoslovakia and Netherlands (3-1), and the match for third place between the Netherlands and Yugoslavia. (3-2)
Stadion Maksimir underwent major redevelopments in 1997 and 1998. First, the East and South stand were completely rebuilt, and one year later it was the turn of the North Stand to get reconstructed. At the same time all (remaining) standing areas got converted into seats.
The stadium received a further minor upgrade in 2011, mainly focusing on the stadium’s facilities and the pitch.
In the last decade, other plans have been presented that aim to further modernise the stadium, most notably by constructing a roof, however no developments are expected at the moment.